VETAB Chair, Bert Evans, State Training Services, General Manager, David Collins with Western Sydney Institute Director Susan Hartigan
The Annual NSW Training Awards celebrate excellence in vocational education and training, and highlight the benefits of vocational qualifications for individuals, communities and industry.
The State winners of these Awards were announced at a gala presentation dinner at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre on 16 September 2010 hosted by the NSW Minister for Education and Training, Verity Firth MP. The NSW winners will now represent NSW at the Australian Training Awards, to be held in Sydney on 19 November 2010.
NSW VETAB sponsored the Large Training Provider of the Year award. The Board Chairperson, Mr Bert Evans presented the award to TAFE NSW – Western Sydney Institute. The other finalists were TAFE NSW – Sydney Institute and the Department of Education and Training – South Western Sydney Region.
Other winners on the night were:
• NSW Small Training Provider of the Year: Australian Careers Business College
• NSW Employer of the Year: O-I Sydney
• NSW Training Initiative Award: Sydney Ferries
• NSW Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Student of the Year: Russell Freeburn – Certificate IV in Retail Management (North Coast)
• NSW Apprentice of the Year: Garreth Robbs Cookery Western – Hospitality (Commercial Cookery) Certificate III (Hunter)
• NSW School Based Apprentice of the Year: Alex Jones – Community Services – Aged Care Work Certificate III (North Coast)
• NSW Trainee of the Year: Gabriella Morona – Rural Skills – Agriculture Certificate III (Riverina)
• NSW Vocational Student of the Year: Heidi Scher – Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
• NSW VET in Schools Student of the Year: Bethany Hahesy – Business Services – Business Certificate II
• NSW VET in Schools Excellence: TAFE NSW – Western Institute (Western NSW)