The Getty Research Portal™ is a free online search platform providing worldwide access to an extensive collection of digitized art history texts from a range of institutions. This multilingual and multicultural union catalog affords art historians and other researchers the ability to search and download complete digital copies of publications devoted to art, architecture, material culture, and related fields.
The Getty Research Portal™ has recently been rebuilt and redesigned, making it easier to explore the digitized literature of art history. The Portal is a catalog providing free access to books and journals made available online by contributing institutions.
The Portal’s new user interface features several key improvements:
- Each digitized text now has its own individual page, enabling users to easily share links.
- The site has a responsive design, allowing for better use on phones and tablets.
- New additions from contributing libraries are more clearly highlighted.
- Search filters have been added, making results sortable by criteria such as date and language.
- Edition details for books—often important information for researchers and scholars—are now readily displayed whenever available.
Along with the rebuild, the Portal, which began with eight international institutions as founding members, has recently added a number of important new contributors: the Art Institute of Chicago’s Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, the Bibliotheca Hertziana – Max Planck Institute for Art History in Rome, the Herzog August Bibliothek in Wolfenbüttel, the Menil Library Collection in Houston, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum Library and Archives in New York, and the Warburg Institute Library in London.